2 pounds of Wildflower Honey
1 packet of Lalvin 1116 yeast
1/2 tsp. Fermaid K
Enough bottled spring water to reach 1.75 gallons of volume
Original Gravity: 1.082 SG actual
Final Gravity: 0.995 SG estimated (0.994 actual)
ABV: 12% estimated (12.1% actual)
Bottling Wand: Stainless #1
Combined some water, the honey, the maple syrup, and Fermaid into a 2-gallon fermenter. Using a drill and a wine degasser, combined the ingredients and aerated the wort. Dropped in a sanitized Tilt Hydrometer which read the gravity at 1.082 SG. Pitched the yeast, sealed the fermenter, and added a sanitized airlock. Placed the fermenter in the coolest corner of the basement.
Notes and Observations
10/06/2019: Gravity is down to 1.076 SG today, with the temperature at 71F. That's 6% apparent attenuation and 0.7% ABV in around 24 hours.
10/07/2019: Gravity is 1.065 today. Temperature is 70F. That's 20.7% attenuation and 2.5% ABV.
10/08/2019: Gravity is 1.060 today, temperature 68F, 26.8% attenuation, and 3.22% ABV. I'll probably dose the must with some nutrients today to help the yeast along, as it seems to be moving a bit slowly - slower than the Cyser I created a few minutes before it.
10/09/2019: Gravity is 1.054 today, temperature 68F, 34.2% attenuation, and 4.1% ABV.
10/13/2019: Gravity is down to 1.021 today, temperature 67F, 74.4% attenuation, and 8.6% ABV.
10/14/2019: Gravity is down to 1.013 today, temperature 68F, 84,2% attenuation, and 9.7% ABV.
11/03/2019: The acerglyn was bottled today. Most of the bottles were not primed for carbonation, but I did prime a few of them with 2-4 carbonation drops to see if the carbonation improves the acerglyn or not. If it's a big improvement, I could uncap, prime, and re-cap the remaining bottles if I wanted to, at some point in the future.
11/24/2019: Today I chilled a bottle of the acerglyn, and tonight I opened it. It reminds me of a sweet Riesling. Despite its 12.1% ABV, it's incredibly easy to drink and has only a slight warming note. I am really happy with how this turned out.