Batches Made

This page chronicles the batches of beer I've made in my quest to perfect my home brewing skills. As you'll see below, I've made over 120 batches of beer, both extract and all-grain.
Batches made in 2018 so far (43 total):
Batches made in 2017 (36 total):

Batches made in 2016 (17 total):
Batches made in 2015 (15 total):
  • 1/1/2015:  Bourbon Barrel Belgian Amber Ale - an experiment using Aromatic malt, Crystal 60L, Munich LME, Rice Solids, Amber DME, Biscuit malt, whole Cascade hops, Czech Saaz Pellets, and Bourbon Barrel chunks in the boil
  • 5/15:  First all-grain attempt using Midwest Supplies Monk's Cowl Belgian Ale kit.  One gallon batch.  Didn't like it.
  • 6/5/15:  Third attempt at an extract based Tripel.  Came out at over 11% ABV.  Poured flat out of the bottle, and assume the yeast burned itself out.
  • 6/13/15:  Belgian Dubbel extract based beer, based on a kit from Adventures in Homebrewing that I modified.  Turned out better than many previous beers.  
  • 7/25/15:  Belgian Abbey Single from an E.C. Kraus recipe.  One of the best and most popular beers I've made.
  • 8/15:  Pliny the Elder clone from an extract-based kit sold by MoreBeer.  It's been very popular with family members who are IPA fanatics and others who like hoppier styles.  I've never had the original so I can't tell you how close this comes to the real thing.
  • 8/30/15:  Adventures in Homebrewing Gingerbread Brown Ale kit.
  • 9/2/15:  First full-size all-grain beer, an ESB that started out as a 1933 JW Lees bitter recipe but modified with some last-minute substitutions.  Turned out reasonably well, but some of the bottle caps didn't seal well and many of the bottles came out flat as a result.
  • 9/20/15:  Second full-size all-grain beer, a Belgian Tripel made with barley, wheat, and oat.  This, to be honest, was a disaster. I needed to add rice hulls and didn't know it, so I had a terrible time with RIMS recirculation, draining, and sparging.  
  • November 2015:  Belgian Abbey Single version 1.1, modified from the E.C. Kraus recipe.  This got much closer to what I wanted, but I need to dial back a couple of the specialty grains in the next iteration.
  • November 2015:  Northy 12 kit from Northern Brewer, a clone of Westvleteren XII from Belgium.  I had issues getting the final volume and gravity where I needed them, and due to the hops bags dropping to the bottom of the kettle I couldn't extract them and boil down the wort, so it wound up weaker than I hoped.
  • November 5, 2015: Adventures in Homebrewing Peanut Butter Conspiracy Stout kit.
  • December 2015:  Experimented with three ciders and an American Ale yeast strain. Two of the three resulted in sweet but very drinkable ciders.  The third resulted in a vinegary one that will probably end up dumped.
Batches made in 2014 (5+ total):
  • 8/9/14:  A Belgian Strong Dark Ale of my own design - OK but nothing to brag about
  • 8/24/14:  Belgian Tripel using Munich LME, Pilsner LME, Camdi Sugar, and D45 with UK Fuggles and Saaz
  • 9/14:  EdWort's Apfelwein
  • 12/13/14:  Clone Brews Gulden Draak Recipe brewed with yeast harvested from their beer
  • 12/28/14:  Scaldis Noel Clone from Clone Brews - I didn't let this ferment long enough before bottling and even months later it was disgustingly sugary.  Lesson learned to monitor fermentation and let beers get to final gravity.
Prior to late 2014, I didn't keep detailed records, so these are from memory and in the approximate order I brewed them:
  • Mr. Beer's Black Tower Porter Extract-only Kit
  • Mr. Beer's IPA Kit with molasses added
  • Mr. Beer's Wheat Beer with honey added - turned out really great
  • Mr. Beer's Black Tower Porter kit with added fermentables
  • Mr. Beer's Black Tower Porter kit with unsweetened chocolate and sugar added
  • North High Brewing's on-premise Tripel recipe, made on their equipment
  • My modified version of the North High Tripel recipe with Czech Saaz and Hallertau hops in place of the UK East Kent Goldings, fermented in the Mr. Beer kit
  • A concoction of my own design using some hopped extract I had on-hand and a Belgian yeast strain, which turned out so sugary I had to dump it.  Lesson learned - I need more hops than I think I do.
  • (Somewhere around here I ditched the Mr. Beer gear and got some more-traditional home brewing apparatus, including 6.5 gallon fermenting buckets, an 8-gallon Mega Pot kettle, etc.)






No comments:

Post a Comment