Sunday, November 4, 2018

2018 Pumpkin Ale 1.0

My wife and I enjoy a good pumpkin ale. My personal favorite is Hoppin' Frog's Frog Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale. I also enjoy Heavy Seas Great'r Pumpkin (a barrel aged pumpkin ale) and Southern Tier's Pumking. I found a recipe recently that looked promising, so I scaled it down to fit the Zymatic and ordered the ingredients. Tonight, I brewed it.

Ingredients

4.25 pounds of Two-Row Pale Malt
7 ounces of Munich Light Malt
7 ounces of Belgian Caravienne
4 ounces of Carafoam
2 ounces of Biscuit Malt
4.5 ounces of Wildflower Honey added to mash water
15 ounces of canned Organic Pumpkin
0.5 ounces of Crystal hops @ 3.5% AA (60 min.)
0.5 ounces of Crystal hops @ 3.5% AA (20 min.)
0.25 ounces of Crystal hops @ 3.5% AA (10 min.)
5 grams pumpkin pie spice at 20 min.
5 grams pumpkin pie spice at 10 min.
1 packet Safale US-05 yeast
1/4 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1/8 tsp. Super Irish Moss (20 min.)
1.5 tsp. pH 5.2 Stabilizer in the grain at the start of mash
1.5 tsp. Amylase Enzyme in the grain at the start of mash
1/2 tsp. Brewtan B in the mash
3 gallons plus 16 ounces of starting water with the honey dissolved into it

According to the Zymatic recipe crafter, the beer should have the following characteristics:
  • BJCP Style: 29.B Fruit and Spice Beer
  • Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
  • Original Gravity: 1.060 SG (1.055 SG)
  • Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
  • SRM: 7
  • IBUs: 18
  • Estimated ABV: 6.7% without the addition of pumpkin
The mash schedule was configured to:
  • Dough In at 102F for 20 minutes
  • Mash at 113F for 15 minutes
  • Mash at 120F for 20 minutes
  • Mash at 152F for 30 minutes
  • Mash at 159F for 60 minutes
  • Mash Out at 175F for 10 minutes
My goal is a less-fermentable mash and more residual sugar to balance the spice and squash flavors, with an aim toward tasting more like a pie and less like a beer. We'll see how that goes.

The boil schedule will be:
  • 60 minutes: Crystal hops (0.5 ounces)
  • 20 minutes: Crystal hops (0.5 ounces), yeast nutrient, Super Irish Moss, and spice mix
  • 10 minutes: Crystal hops (0.25 ounces), spice mix
The beer will then be run through my counter flow chiller into a sanitized fermenter. It will be chilled further down to the low end of the range for US-05 yeast, then a full packet of US-05 pitched on top of the wort. 

The fermentation schedule will be at least one week at 66F, waiting until the gravity holds at the same figure for 3+ days, at which point I'll add finings and cold-crash the beer for a few days before bottling. 

Post-Brew Notes and Observations

11/4/2018: This is the first time I've tried doing a pumpkin beer in the Zymatic. The style can sometimes be a challenge in a brewing system when canned pumpkin is used, as it is usually finely pureed and can "gunk up" the brewing system if you don't keep an eye on it. I stirred it in with the dry grain prior to mashing and added some amylase enzyme to help convert more of the pumpkin's starches into sugars to aid in raising the gravity of the beer.

Despite adding amylase and pH 5.2 stabilizer during the mash, the gravity on this batch came out about 5 points lower than expected. Wort came out of the counter flow chiller at approximately 77F. I pitched the yeast at that point, directly onto the wort, as 77F is a recommended rehydration temperature for it. However, I've configured the temperature control system to hold the beer at 66F, so it immediately began cooling the beer.

11/5/2018: It's about 24 hours since the yeast was pitched. Temperature has held at 66F. Gravity has dropped from 1.055 SG down to 1.051. That's 7.3% attenuation and 0.53% ABV so far.

11/6/2018: Gravity is down to 1.032 SG. Temperature holding at 66F.

11/7/2018: Gravity has dropped to 1.018 SG. Temperature at 66F.

11/8/2018: Gravity is now 1.014 SG. I turned the temperature up to 70F to help the beer finish out.

11/9/2018: Gravity is down to 1.013 SG. Temperature control was turned off overnight and the beer is holding at 69F. This represents apparent attenuation of 76.4% and ABV of 5.5%.

11/11/2018: While the gravity and temperature have held steady the last few days, there is still an impressive amount of yeast on top of the beer - perhaps between a half and three-quarters of an inch thick (the fermenter in this case is clear so I can see that without opening it). This suggests that the yeast are still active and working, so I am leaving the fermenter alone for a few more days to see if the yeast drops out of suspension. A sample removed from the fermenter showed a good squash aroma with a mild spice aroma. The flavor was good, but I felt like it could use more spice. I'll probably add more at bottling.

11/14/2018: The gravity has been holding very steady now for for several days, so it was time to bottle. Since I'd hoped to serve this at a family gathering next week, I decided to try force carbonating a gallon of the batch to have ready for that, and bottle the rest. The bottles were primed with four carbonation tablets each (medium carbonation). The forced-carbonation vessel was set to 11 PSI to get approximately 2.5 volumes of CO2 in a day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment