Adventures in Homebrewing had 96-ounce cans of Blackberry Wine base on sale for $10, because they were past the sell-by date. I decided to chance it and buy two of the cans to turn into blackberry wine. When opened, the cans smelled perfectly fine, so I think the wine is going to turn out well. We'll see.
Ingredients (per 5-gallon batch)
1 can of Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Wine Base
8 pounds of cane sugar
3 tsp. Citric Acid
4 tsp. Yeast Nutrient (DAP + Fermaid O)
2.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
1/2 tsp. Wine Tannin
1 packet CR51 Vintner's Harvest wine yeast
Enough RO water to reach 5 gallons in the fermenter
- Original Gravity: 1.086 SG for one batch, 1.077 SG for the other
- Final Gravity: 0.988 SG estimated
- Batch Size: 5 gallons per batch
- ABV: 13.5% estimated
- Fermenters Used: Two 7.5 gallon SS Brewtech Brewmaster Buckets
Post-Brew Notes and Observations
12/23/2020: The batch filled to the 5-gallon mark had an original gravity of 1.076 SG. The other batch was filled to around 4.75 gallons and had an original gravity of 1.086 SG. I was surprised there was so much actual fruit in the container (see photo below).
12/24/2020: Fermentation is underway. By noon, the gravity in one batch had dropped to 1.066 (from 1.086) and the other from 1.076 SG to 1.047 SG. The primary difference between the two was that the second batch (1.047 SG) was a few degrees warmer from the start.
12/25/2020: One batch (the one starting at 1.076 SG, which we'll refer to from here on as the Blue batch because it has a Blue Tilt Hydrometer in it) is down to 1.038 SG and 71F (5.4% ABV). The other batch (which we'll refer to as the Red batch) is down to 1.063 SG and 66F. I'm planning to attach a fermentation wrap heater to both batches later today to hold them at the same temp for the remainder of fermentation. According to the manufacturer, the best results are obtained with this yeast at 61-75F. I'm planning to aim for the middle of that range, or 68F.
12/26/2020: The Blue batch is at a gravity of 1.037 SG today. The Red batch is at 1.064 SG. I added temperature control to both this morning, aiming for 68F in both fermenters. As of this writing, the Red batch is 68F and the Blue batch is at 67F. I'll need to bump them up to the desired temps soon. Since my temperature probe takes a while to settle in, I wanted to give both controllers time to establish a solid base reading before tweaking temperature settings.
12/27/2020: The blue batch is down to 1.026 SG today, and the Red batch is at 1.055 SG.
12/29/2020: The blue batch reads 1.012 SG today, and the red reads 1.035 SG. Both are being held at a temperature of 72F.
01/02/2021: The blue batch reads 1.003 SG and the red reads 1.013 SG. Both continue to hold at 72F.
01/12/2021: The blue batch is reading 1.000 SG (and has for a few days). The red batch is reading 1.005 SG. Both continue to hold at 72F, though I plan to disconnect temp control from the blue batch today since it seems to be finished fermenting.
01/15/2021: The blue batch has been holding at, or just below, 1.000 SG. I dosed the wine with Turbo Clear to strip out the yeast and sediment, clarifying the wine.
02/27/2021: I bottled the wine today, using a mix of Grolsch style bottles and standard beer bottles, since they were what I had on hand (and I don't own a corker). The wine had a nice flavor and was quite clear. There was a clear, but not strong, blackberry note to it and a red-wine-like tannin note. I am looking forward to seeing what others think of it once the pandemic is over.