Label Peelers had a sale on hemp for homebrewing purposes a few weeks back, and I picked up a package of their Hawaiian Haze hemp variety. It should be noted that this is NOT a variety of marijuana, but a legal hemp product that does not contain the psychoactive compound THC which causes the "high" feeling but does contain some amount of CBD (which does not get a person high but purports to have anti-inflammatory and other health benefits). I'd had a commercial beer flavored with some hemp compounds and thought it was interesting, so I decided to try such a beer for myself... because I can.
According to the label on the package of hemp, it contains less than 0.3% THC and 14.3% CBD. I added a half ounce to this three gallon recipe, with a small amount going in early in the boil to release CBD and the rest going in at whirlpool to release flavor and aroma compounds (and probably a lesser amount of CBD).
The base recipe here started out as an American Homebrewers Association competition winner, but I ended up not having two of the three specialty malts or the hops, so for most intents and purposes it's my own recipe.
6 pounds of Briess 2-row Pale Malt
13 ounces Flaked Rye
12 ounces Caramel 10L
4 ounces Baird's Carastan Malt
11 ounces Florida Orange Blossom Honey
1 Tbsp. pH 5.2 Stabilizer (after grain is added to mash water)
0.2 ounces XJA/436 Experimental Hops @ 15.2% AA (first wort)
0.2 ounces XJA/436 Experimental Hops @ 15.2% AA (15 min.)
0.2 ounces XJA/436 Experimental Hops @ 15.2% AA (10 min.)
0.4 ounces XJA/436 Experimental Hops @ 15.2% AA (5 min.)
0.1 ounces Hawaiian Haze hemp flower (first wort)
0.2 ounces Hawaiian Haze hemp flower (flameout/whirlpool 30 min.)
0.2 ounces Hawaiian Haze hemp flower (dry hop)
0.5 ounces XJA/436 Experimental Hops @ 15.2% AA (dry hop)
1/2 tsp. Fermaid K yeast nutrient (15 min.)
1/2 tsp. Irish Moss (15 min.)
1 packet Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell yeast
Brewfather estimates the beer will have the following characteristics:
- BJCP Category: Not sure. Experimental Ale?
- Batch Size: 3.25 gallons
- Original Gravity: 1.061 SG estimated, 1.058 SG actual
- Final Gravity: 1.011 SG estimated
- IBUs: 50
- SRM: 15
- ABV: 6.2% estimated
- Mash in at 120F
- Mash at 150F for 60 minutes
- Mash out at 170F for 10 minutes
- Add 0.2 ounces of hops while bringing wort to a boil
- 60 minutes: Added 0.2 ounces of Hawaiian Haze and 0.2 ounces hops
- 15 minutes: Add 0.2 ounces hops, yeast nutrient, Irish moss
- 10 minutes: Add 0.1 ounces hops
- 5 minutes: Add 0.4 ounces hops
- 0 minutes: Whirlpool 0.1 ounces Hawaiian Haze for 30 minutes
- The yeast handles a temperature range of 64-73F. My basement is currently around 63-64F, which should help keep this yeast well within range during fermentation, without temperature control.
- When fermentation starts to slow, add 0.1 ounces of Hawaiian Haze and 0.5 ounces of hops for 3-4 days until fermentation is finished.
Post-Brew Notes and Observations
04/17/2021: The brew went pretty smoothly overall. I should probably have dialed the amount of water back slightly, because once I filled the fermenter to about the 3.1 gallon mark, I still had maybe a half-gallon or more in the kettle that I tossed.
|The Hawaiian Haze hemp package|
|A Half-Ounce of Hawaiian Haze hemp|
|XJA/436 Experimental Hops Package|
|The finished wort in the fermenter|
Post a Comment
Note that comments to this blog are moderated in order to minimize spam comments and things that might be offensive to readers.